News

MPPs Pettapiece, Hardeman promote CO detectors in homes (Stratford)

October 16, 2013

(Perth-Wellington) – More carbon monoxide detectors need to be in local homes. Perth-Wellington MPP Randy Pettapiece and Oxford MPP Ernie Hardeman delivered that message today at the Stratford Fire Department.

Fire Inspector Rod MacDonald of the Stratford Fire Department and Doug DeRabbie from the Insurance Bureau of Canada (IBC) joined the MPPs.

DeRabbie presented MacDonald with 75 carbon monoxide detectors donated by IBC for distribution to Stratford residents. IBC made the donation as part of its campaign to raise awareness about the need for carbon monoxide detectors.

“Carbon monoxide is odourless, colourless and has no taste,” said Pettapiece. “The only way to know if this deadly gas is in your home is by having a detector. I want to thank the Insurance of Bureau of Canada for making this donation to help protect the people of Perth-Wellington.”

Hardeman introduced a private members bill that would require carbon monoxide detectors in all homes with a fuel burning appliance or attached garage. The bill is named the Hawkins Gignac Act in memory of a Woodstock family that was killed by carbon monoxide poisoning due to a blocked vent on their fireplace.

Ralph Palumbo, IBC’s Vice-President Ontario, strongly supports the bill.

“Despite the serious threat of carbon monoxide poisoning, many Canadians do not have CO detectors in their home,” Palumbo said. “We support MPP Ernie Hardeman’s initiative to make CO detectors mandatory in all homes in Ontario. Imposing the installation of CO detectors is a wise investment that will help keep families safe at a minimal cost.”

Pettapiece was in the legislature when MPPs of all parties unanimously supported Hardeman’s bill. He was disappointed, however, that it did not become law when the government prorogued the legislature in 2012.

Hardeman reintroduced the bill and is hopeful it can be passed before Christmas.

“Carbon Monoxide poisoning is the leading cause of accidental deaths in North America, but many of these tragedies can be prevented by installing a CO detector,” said Hardeman. “Before the winter season starts, I encourage everyone to protect themselves and their families by ensuring they have a working carbon monoxide detector in their home.”

- 30 -

Randy Pettapiece, MPP  |  519-272-0660  |  www.pettapiece.ca